Sunday, February 23, 2014

Old Town Cemetery, Stirling

We know of no sweeter cemetery in all of our wanderings than that of Stirling.
William Wordsworth


Old Town Cemetery with Stirling Castle in the background.

I found that there were two names for this cemetery, one was Valley Cemetery and the other was Old Town Cemetery. The latter name was defined as the area between the Church of the Holy Rude (founded in 1129 and just to the right and behind me out of the shot) and the castle. If I'm not very much mistaken that cluster of buildings and fortifications at the top of the photograph is the aforementioned castle. It may be that the cemetery itself, which is quite extensive, may be divided into two differently named sections.

Rock and Stone

When I looked again at this image I felt that the whole thing was a bit tilted. I could have straightened it but decided that I liked the dynamic so I left it as it was.

James Renwick and company

I also liked the stone outcroppings in combination with the monuments.

I'm sure in other postings we'll be revisiting this site.

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment