Sunday, April 6, 2014

Variations on a theme II.

Colin suggested that we post images of common subjects from the Stirling Cemetery, and here's my somewhat belated response on the topic. 

To be honest, the two subjects he selected are both ones that I photographed but I can't really say that I did anything brilliant with either one. (I was far more interested in the nearby pyramidal Rock of Ages memorial.)


Regardless, here is my take on the Black Panther Angel and the Like-Minded Sisters.

Of the two, I'm least pleased with my shots of the Black Panther Angel - a description which inexplicably puzzled Colin.  Given that Colin is far more a child of the 60s than I am, I would think that the following pose would make the connection obvious.  In fact, it's an odd pose for an angel, when you think about it. And is it me or does she only have four fingers?


I do wonder how the Angel lost half her star, which seems a sad fate for an angel.


The Like-Minded Sisters offered a more interesting subject - virgins under glass, as it were.


I refer the curious reader to the plaque on the casement:


I'm intrigued as to the tale behind Margaret and Agnes, virgin martyrs of the ocean waves - or wave.  Why does Margaret take precedence in virginity and martyrdom?  Is it based on age?  Is "impearled" a bad aquatic pun or a typographical error?  How was their martyrdom achieved?  I assume it took place at the same time, and that the two figures with the angel represent the sisters in question, with the lamb at their feet as a symbol of innocence.  And, somewhat unusual for a memorial - what was their last name?

In this case (no pun intended), I can offer little in terms of variety from Colin's approach: putting statues under glass can limit a photographer's choices purely on the basis of reflection.


- Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment