Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Brompton Cemetery, 2011

As Colin has already mentioned, Brompton Cemetery in London is a wondrous location.  It is quite literally a necropolis, a city of the dead that sprawls over 39 acres and has seen over 200,000 burials.  I stumbled across Brompton Cemetery in 2011 while somewhat frantically trying to find the Doctor Who Experience for which I had purchased a ticket as part of the London portion of my fiftieth birthday trip to Europe.

I was instantly captivated by the prospect of photographing Brompton, but my time was running out and I was still lost in the pouring rain.  Reluctantly I turned my back and continued my hunt. 

I managed to find the Experience with ten minutes to spare, but when it was over I retraced my tracks to the cemetery and pulled out my camera. 

It was a horribly frustrating experience - never before have I spent so much time trying to capture the vision of a location with so little success, and the following shots are the best of a poor lot, in my opinion.  It is possible that I did a slightly better job when Colin and I visited London last year, but for now I'll start with these black and white images from 2011.









- Sid

P.S. the first image is the same melancholy figure that Colin posted in his earlier introduction to Brompton Cemetery.  Again, I think that the pictures that I took on my second visit do her more justice, although it's interesting to see that in the intervening years she added a garland of ivy to her ensemble.

1 comment:

  1. Of course it would have been even more interesting if she was weeping and had moved...

    Chris

    ReplyDelete